Harvey Weinstein formally charged with rape and a criminal sex act: Posts $1M bail !!

0
117
Pic Credit: Twitter

Former Hollywood film mogul Harvey Weinstein, who was accused of sexual … The Harvey Weinstein case: How events unfolded; the #MeToo … Harvey Weinstein released on 1 million dollar bail over rape charges.

Hollywood kingmaker Harvey Weinstein had a meteoric fall from grace since dozens of women accused him of sexual assault and harassment. The co-founder of production companies Miramax and the Weinstein Company is a name to reckon with in the movie industry. But the recent allegations of sexual misconduct against him have once again brought out the ugly truth of sexual harassment in the work space.

The producer apologises, saying he realises he “has caused a lot of pain” and says he intends to take a “leave of absence” from his firm, The Weinstein Company (TWC). The following day, TWC’s board of directors says the majority of its members “strongly endorsed” his decision to step aside indefinitely.

Pic Credit: Twitter

As per BBC reports, Harvey Weinstein has been released on $1 million bail after being charged with rape and sexual abuse. Weinstein, 66, also agreed to wear a GPS tracker and to surrender his passport after turning himself in to police on Friday.

He pleaded not guilty to charges of first- and third-degree rape and committing a criminal sexual act in the first degree at his arraignment. More than 70 women have accused Weinstein of sexual misconduct although the charges relate to only two of them. Some allegations date back decades.

Prosecutors said on Friday that Weinstein had been charged with two counts of rape and one count of a criminal sexual act involving two women, who were not identified. Witnesses said Weinstein appeared pale and stared into space while prosecutors outlined the bail agreement. The case was adjourned until July 30.

Outside the court, Weinstein’s lawyer, Ben Brafman, told reporters his client would enter a not guilty plea. “We intend to move very quickly to dismiss these charges. We believe that they are constitutionally flawed. We believe that they are not factually supported by the evidence,” he said.

Pic Credit: Twitter

The New York Police Department issued a statement thanking “these brave survivors for their courage to come forward and seek justice”. The identity of one of the women whose accusations prompted the charges was confirmed by her lawyer on Friday.

Former actress Lucia Evans had already publicly accused Weinstein of forcing her into oral sex in 2004.

Stay tuned to COB for more updates

LEAVE A REPLY